Model ported to game engine

September 17, 2010

Today, I did a quick port of a portion of the model into the Unity Game Engine.  This was a learning exercise to understand the complete flow and to see what changes in the model/materials I would need to make in order to have a polished visualization.  The two big items are 1. to account for the fact that the renderer does not deal with two sided meshes and that the complex textures that I have been using need to be baked into simpler UV mapped images.  I did not explore baking of shadows or normals which would be necessary for a quality result.

Here is the link to the web app of this first attempt: http://home.comcast.net/~boddie/SFWeb.html

Use the mouse to look around and the arrow keys (or WASD) to move.


Continuing to texture

September 15, 2010

I am continuing the work of placing and texturing the buildings in Bexar.

Since the last post, I have also worked on a workflow to create a better height map of the area around Bexar.  It involves downloading the elevation data from the USGS and converting it to a 16-bit tiff that can be edited in photoshop to remove noise and correct for modern day alterations to the terrain.

I also experimented with Unity.  I have a small demo program in which I can ‘walk around’ the Alamo compound.

Some feedback on the San Fernando photo indicated that the walls are too gray.  Here is a rendering with a warmer hue:

San Fernando Church 1836